Thursday, February 17, 2011

LOVE

With February being a time known as the month of love, I got thinking about this subject. I don’t know about you but while I love the feeling (or whatever it is), it is also one of the most difficult things to do I think. I ask myself, to what extent do I really love in the way God wants us to? Because in its true form, it really means one must truly be selfless. We know that the ultimate act of selflessness and sacrifice was made for humanity by Jesus Christ, to truly demonstrate His love for us. God gave His only son for us as a symbol of the extent to which He would go because of His love for us. Yet, I don’t think I truly fathom the extent to which this love goes. I am a student of His love for me everyday. There are some days when it feels a lot more intense than others. There are days when I can feel a tangible sense of God and sometimes not. Yet I know that in those times when I don’t necessarily feel His love, that He does truly love me.
In John 13:35, Jesus commanded us to “Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” It has been said that love is a decision. Love is verb, so it is a doing word. That of course does not make it an easy thing to do but it is a decision, which means it can be done. It can’t have been easy for Jesus to love us, but He does anyway. When I think of my imperfections, I am truly humbled at the depth of His love for me. I am mesmerised at all forms of blessings He has showered me with throughout my life though I haven’t necessarily deserved them. When I look at the life of Jesus, how he interacted with the lowly and cast down as much as He did setting the example for the upright, I am challenged.

That is one of the reasons I serve in my local church. Firstly out of love for my Daddy, secondly to glorify Him and also to have a hand in changing the lives of the many people that walk through our church doors. It is out of obedience to the commandment that “by this, everyone will know that you are my disciples.” It is my desire to be as the bride Paul talks about, who will have her arms wide open for the lost and hungry by partaking in what the church is doing. If you go to church and are not involved in anyway I encourage you to not only be a spectator but to also get involved in the life of the church. The harvest is plenty yet the hands are few; Matt 9:35 - 38. Help the church to reach the many lives in the way your leaders have been mandated.

It is a daily walk as one strive to get closer to Him and grow in communion with Him. Our hearts then break for the things that breaks His and when we honor Him by serving in whatever area He has called us, He is glorified and he truly does step in to do what He does best.

So love, the most enigmatic yet powerful sense in humanity. Whether or not one has been exposed to it, it remains one of the most inherent super needs of every human being. And what better way to learn how to love than from the Master Himself. So when we experience His love for us, we are able to then also give it in a way that truly honors Him. 1 Corinthians 13 is a popular scripture in the bible on the picture of love and while i think we attempt to love in the way this piece of scripture describes, i believe it is truly a work in progress everyday. By the grace of God we will get it right cause as Paul says, “And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.”

No comments:

Post a Comment